In the Fall of 1850, a typhoid fever epidemic hit Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. Many students left school. Among those who remained were William Henry Letterman and Charles Page Thomas Moore. They Chose to care for their classmates who were stricken withe the contagious disease, and a strong bond was formed. In the following school year, Letterman and Moore decided to found a fraternity based on “the great joy of serving others” that they experienced during the epidemic. On February 19, 1852, Phi Kappa Psi was founded.
Total Chapters: 100
Total Alumni Associations: 51
Undergraduate Members: 5,900
Lifetime Members: 126,000+
National Philanthropic Partner: The Boys and Girls Club of America
Official Colors: Hunter Green and Cardinal Red
Founded: February 19, 1852 in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania by William Henry Letterman and Charles Page Thomas Moore.